After one of my latest baking photos received lots of comments along the line of ‘ooh I need that recipe’, I decided that maybe the best place to keep all my recipes was on a blog.. unfortunately I only thought about it half way through making today’s lemon drizzle cupcakes so there’s only a photo of the finished products rather than all the steps (my bad).
Here’s the recipe for around 9 lemon drizzle cupcakes:
120g butter (room temperature)
2 medium eggs
120g self raising flour
Zest of 2 lemons
1-3 tablespoons of water*
*enough to loosen the batter
Lemon icing *
100g icing sugar
Juice of 2 lemons
*Depending on the amount of icing wanted and consistency
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees and place 9 cupcake cases in a muffin tray
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until well combined
3. Add both eggs and mix well
4. Sieve and stir in the flour, then add the lemon zest
5. Add enough water to loosen the batter
6. Spoon equal amounts of batter into the 9 cases, and cook for 20 minutes
7. When golden and spongey to touch, remove from the oven and let cool
Optional: I like to poke small holes with a cocktail stick and drizzle a little lemon juice on whilst still warm to make them extra lemony!
8. To make the icing, mix together the icing sugar and lemon juice, reducing the amount of lemon juice if you prefer a thicker icing (and vice versa)
EAT! I love them when they’re still slightly warm with a big cup of tea, enjoy!
These cakes can be made dairy free by swapping out the butter for dairy free margarine and they taste just as great!